Gentlemen...
I'm attempting to biamp a pair of 604-8k's, in 620 cabs, with the stock,604-8K dual attenuator crossovers.They seem to be the same as the 604-8H crossovers on Jeff Markwart's site. The reason for the attempt.... I'm currently driving them with either a pseudo triode el84 SE amp, or a regular pentode el84 SE amp. Both amps sound great, but have particular strengths... The pseudo triode has an unbelievably firm bottom end, while the pentode SE has speed, articulation, and detail in the top, that the triode just can't quite match. I want the strengths of both.
I've tried a couple of active electronic crossovers, with less than satisfactory results.After studying the 6048H crossover schematic at Jeff Markwart's site, I can't quite figure out how to seperate it, to be able to split it into two sections.The C5 16 uf capacitor seems to do dual duty to both sections.( Zobel?)I was thinking of driving the woofer section with a separate unit, similar to the dual attenuator, and also JM's 604-8h simplified, just a 1.7 mh inductor in series, with a 16 uf cap paralleled.
So, I think my questions are.....
Can I mechanically/electrically split a 604-8k dual band crossover into 2 seperate sections to biamp it?
Will the crossover perform correctly if I was to use only the HF outputs, and not the LF ?
Can I assemble a separate crossover using the woofer section of JM's 604-8h simplified, using a 1.7 mh inducter in series, and a 16 uf Cap paralleled? Even though the inductor seems to do dual duty into the HF section?
I split a Hiraga crossover for my A5's, using 845's for the 288's, and Bryston SS for the 515B, and it has worked flawlessly for me. But, it was very simple to do, for an electrically challenged wonk like myself....
I have attempted to include the pdf's from JM's site, but they are too large, and I don't have the brain cells left to figure out how to do it. So, I'm attempting to include some links....Any help with this is mucho appreciated....
Cheers.... Scott (Altec Slappy)
Jeff Markwarts fabulous site..... Jeff Markwart's Corner - Phase Corrected Crossovers
Altec 604-8H vintage crossover pdf.... http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart...les/604-8h.pdf
604-8H simplified..... http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart...4-8h_gsmpl.pdf







You may want to PM Donald Patten as I think he specializes in the 604-605 circuit.I'm not 100% certain though.
Bookmarks